View Single Post
Old 04-18-2015, 03:41 PM   #8

Demolition and 17" rims

One thing I forgot to put in my review is that the Demolition comes standard with 17" rims front and rear - which is not a problem if you want to stick with dirt tyres, but a huge headache (in Peru) if you want to put some mixed tread tyres on. No manufacturer (available here!) appears to make a suitable 17" front tyre in a tread pattern that is any good on the black stuff - I was offered slicks, scooter tyres, mis-matched tyres (different manufacturers and tread types front and rear), and more off-road tyres.
I checked exhaustively on-line and the only manufacturer that seemed to do a 17" front would have meant having the same size on the rear, which I was not keen on.
The Honda has Pirelli MT60's on it - 17 rear and 19 front - and they work nicely (on dirt roads and tarmac, but not so good in soft sand!), however are directional with a rotation arrow on them. In the end I bit the bullet and bought some for the Demolition - 130/17 rear and 110/17 front (front mounted the wrong way round!). At least I have the correct tread pattern on both wheels, based on the patterns on the Honda, and so far have not noticed anything untoward by having the front wheel rotating backwards!!! I doubt whether I will be riding at high enough speeds for anything to go wrong, and the police here are unlikely to check, or worry about, the tyre arrows!