View Single Post
Old 07-29-2015, 01:17 AM   #3978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrami71 View Post
Hey all, had something odd happen. Came back from riding with the Western US tour. Which was awesome. Was glad to have met a bunch of you owners. Anyhow, was time to change the oil. When replacing the 8mm nuts on the oil filter cover I finger threaded first one side on a little then the other side. Then fingered tightend them down to snug. I next used my 8mm t-handle wrench to just add a little more snugness to make sure no leaks. One side snugged down fine the other just kept spinning and spinning. So I got my vice grips out and got a hold of the nut and pulled while backing off, hoping to get the nut to catch. No luck. However the post finally unscrewed and I was able to then cut the nut off. Oddly the first couple of threads are intact, but several of the next few threads are stripped on the post. Has me scratching my head what happened since I hand threaded them. Oh well will call CSC in the morning and hope they have the post screw I need in stock.
As long as someone doesn't overtighten, two flange head bolts would work as well, maybe better. However, a lot of people would overtighten the bolts, and strip the threads in the crankase, so studs were installed by the designer.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894