View Single Post
Old 06-15-2022, 06:09 PM   #3

More info and observations

In no apparent order...

Instead of an equalizer tube between the two lobes of the gas tank, and one fuel line input to the petcock, each lobe of the tank feeds the petcock separately, and there are 3 positions on the petcock valve. One of them is a "dot", and the other two seem identical (capital R). I haven't run out and switched, so I don't know if this is effectively a reserve.
EDIT: update... yes, gas in the "other" lobe can act as a reserve (doesn't matter which one). Just switch from "R" to "R", and keep riding.

The spark plug wire has a protective sheath around it, but it was laying on the cooling fins of the cylinder! Not cool. But I had saved the massive zip strips that held the bike in the crate (cutting them at the zip side, and pulling out the tail-hate to waste them!). So I repurposed one to hold the Sparkplug wire off the hot cylinder:

I took the chain off to remove a link. Then hung it from the garage ceiling and with paper towel blocking blow through, drenched the chain with Champion chain lube aerosol spray. Then wiped off the excess and reinstalled the chain. It looks like lithium grease and silicone based lube. It coated the sprockets after reinstall too. You can see the ZS172FMM-3A engine model number there too.

BUT, when I removed the front sprocket cover, BOTH bolts were too tight. The upper came out OK, but the lower one brought the threads with it. crap

EDIT: Fixed-A longer bolt found another 5mm of good threads deeper so it is OK. Lucky break.

What else? The swingarm has a proper rear axel slot with a threaded bolt offset. This is actually UNCOMMON in our low budget bikes (which have a square steel swingarm). The thickest part if the swingarm is 3" thick, and the cross member where the rear shock linkage is mounted is adequate (and by adequate, I mean heavy duty). This is strong enough to take way more than anything I will ever do to this bike. There's also a short shifter with folding tip. I like that.

The frame on this motorcycle seems excellent. Welds are good, and the powdercoating is still flawless after nearly two years (edit).
Check out this headset, and the triple trees, and the size of those USD fork "bottoms". This is a stiff front end.

Last edited by Thumper; 03-04-2024 at 09:08 AM.