View Single Post
Old 11-26-2021, 10:54 AM   #32

Break down bottoms out

I may snoop around and investigate this or that yet, but this is the beginning of the path to building a better bike, hardened for the back road! Some people just might like this better than riding? There is a deep satisfaction in improving a bike to a higher state of performance, and no motorcycle will give you more riding pleasure than one done by your own hands.

Despite all the fun, the CR27 Team only wants to do this break down one time. Take the time to do it right. We now have the best access to all areas of the bike so if you have plans to change something that is hard to get at now is the time. Like that wiring I want to fix, easiest to do now rather than later.

Suggestions:

Read through Megadan’s HAWK 250 Resource guide because of the knowledge to be gained about bikes, parts, and processes.

Checking bolts for tightness, adding thread locker to removed bolts (Loctite 243 highly recommended, consider the big bottle, cheapest in the long run.)

Checking connections and sealing all general electrical connections with dielectric grease (insulates the connection preventing corrosion from water), except the EFI connections which appear to use waterproof connectors (I would check them to be sure connected good). The one I took apart already had dielectric grease so I believe it better to leave them undisturbed but everything else, the lights, ignition, battery connections so on would be good.

Go over all areas of the bike and check for issues, wires that may rub, hoses rubbing, bolts loose, how are things routed. Can something be improved? Any damage or frame issues? Get several sizes of zip ties, great for tying/fixing stuff, and you can put some in your road kit.

Take the air filter out and check the air box make sure all is good

Checking the valve clearance pre start up and adjust if needed.

Look at all the cable routing and correct if needed.

Checking/tightening spokes

Comment:

You just got a new bike and you are going to ride it not work on it. I get it. Consider then you could do a little bit of both, and take a weekend here and there to get some things done. If you are one that sees no purpose in doing this kind of work, that’s okay too, ride the bike, enjoy it, but when I see you stopped on the backroad, have the courtesy to pull it over out of the good line, because the CR27 Team is coming through, CG strong, riding hard! Ha, Hah !

Last edited by China Rider 27; 03-28-2022 at 12:46 PM.