View Single Post
Old 02-02-2024, 08:34 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Rule of thumb working on old vehicles. One thing leads to another.

I learned this in spades after buying an '02 Civic from the city impound lot. Ful front end work... CV axels, struts, both lower control arms, then got into the timing belt just for good measure. Found new OEM Honda belt and shiny new water pump in there, but changed the idler pulley and belt anyway

Then a few hundred miles later, realized it was going through coolant and overheating. The head gasket had to be replaced, so went ahead with a remanufactured head as long as it had to come out.

Along the way, I found used radiator mounting bracket, battery tiedown, and a couple of other "missing pieces". Why not ?

OK now it uses a bit of PS fluid, engine oil (oil pan leak?), and the transmission is a bit thumpy. But it starts and runs great otherwise

Such a good deal this turned out to be
Because I apparently feel you guys pain.
07 Ural.
05 Jeep Wrangler.
79 Honda CX 500.
48 DeSoto.

May as well throw in the 70's VeloSolex mopeds for good measure. Whenever there is a hiccup, It's 'what fresh hell is this'.

I had a dollar shock when I was working in Oz, many years ago. I was getting a bit tired of 'Touhys New' and the bar I was in had good old American Millers' MGD, aka toilet water, on hand. Touhys was runing about $4AUD a bottle but the toilet water was $8AUD. WTF. Then it hit me that the toilet water was an import.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts