View Single Post
Old 03-30-2024, 10:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdano711 View Post
Haven't you heard? Content Creator is THEE job. Must be how mechanics (or anyone who works with their hands) felt about computer nerds in the 90's. Love the trades, but they are going the way of the dinosaur.
I don't personally get this. Worked with my hands and been a mechanic my entire adult life. Been a nerd so long my first computer was a Timex-Sinclair 1000.That's just me.

I watch a lot of Youtube. With a wary eye. Was looking at tips on how to install a metal roof. Some folks filmed their entire reroof of their house. I picked one how some things they did contradicted some other things I had seen, including some info from a manufacturer. Then I caught where one guy said something about how well it was going considering how it was their first time ever doing such a thing. There's a lot of stuff like that out there. My favorite is the guy showing how to make generator very quiet. He made a box and put it over his generator. Seriously. Showing that he had a camera, a sound meter, and zero comprehension of how air-cooled gasoline engines work. Yes, commenters called him out.

There's a whole class of Youtube videos which are just blather. People facing the camera and just babbling about anything to get views basically. I don't see them because Youtube tailors itself to what I watch. But I have a grandson addicted to such. To the point that he has a hard time going to sleep unless this junk is running on his tablet. I take a look at what he's watching ever so often (and turn the tablet off after he's asleep) and the mindless drivel blows me away. Apparently there are thousands of people who love to hear themselves talk producing it and obviously multiple thousands of people watching it. And there's obviously money in it. If it weren't for my grandson's apparent addiction I probably wouldn't even be aware such junk videos are a thing.
So there's a formula. Talk about anything you can think of to get views and get money. Repeat. Bad part is that the content doesn't have to be "good", factual, or even actually funny. Just stuff you can get people to watch. I suspect this guy bashing Chinese bikes is pretty much in this category. I bet he has zero mechanical experience or engineering qualifications to be judging anything. Nor is he old enough for me to respect his experience much.

Doesn't matter really. Just me rambling on with some observations.