View Single Post
Old 11-11-2019, 02:45 PM   #291

Replaced Everything That I Could

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybiker View Post
...A question to the "community brain" is anyone replacing the various screws and bolts with more durable/higher quality ones?
As I work on my bike more and more I am thinking it might be good to fit allen screws and stainless bolts to keep things useable for longer.

Are there ready made sets of do you just buy as you go from the local hardware store?
This was one of the first things that I did on my RX3. I wasn't too enamored with the green phosphate finished hardware on the bike, so everything that I could source a similar fastener in A2 or A4 stainless for, I replaced. Axle nuts, oil filter nuts (M5, IIRC), bracket bolts (mostly M6x1.0 button heads in various lengths), side fairing screws, luggage rack mounting bolts, even the bolts that hold the latches on the resin top and side cases. Probably spent US $150-$175 on them, when all was said and done. An excellent source for metric fasteners, stainless or otherwise, is Belmetric.com. They sell genuine SAE Grade 2, 5, and 8 fasteners, or the metric equivalents (Class 4, 8.8. 10.9, 12.9) Grades 5 and 8 are what you want, Class 8.8 or higher for metric. Most A2 Stainless steels come in a hair under Grade 5 or Class 8.8 in strength, but it is not enough to make a difference on anything on a motorcycle's exterior. This includes things like the valve, stator, and clutch covers on the engine, also (more M6x1.0 bolts here). No worries about rust anymore, and they look world's better than the stock fasteners.