View Single Post
Old 09-08-2012, 01:00 AM   #2

Re: 21'' wheel Spoke spec torque

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGammaGhost
Hey chinariders! have a quick question, I tightened a few of my spokes on accident with out even thinking about the tire alignment, and it resulted in a slight wobble in my front wheel. I jacked my bike up and, and I've got it basically back to normal right now, but i want to know that the spokes aren't to tight or to loose before i put serious miles on.

Anyone know the spec torque pundage they should be at? and, if i went through and set them all to spec, should the tire be about perfectly aligned on the hub?

also, I have no idea about torque wrenches, do they only come in one poundage? and how much would one for this job cost, roughly?

Thanks!
I build custom wheels, and I don't trust torque wrenches. I doubt you will find a torque specification for any Chinese motorcycle, and it is just as well.

Spoke torque wrenches are adjustable, and very expensive. Nevertheless, I trust my hands more than any torque wrench. It is difficult to tighten a spoke too tight. Loose spokes are always worse than tight spokes. Use the "ping" test to determine when your spokes are tight enough. Tap the spokes with a screwdriver, or another metal object, and listen for a metallic "ping." If the spoke sounds dull when tapped, you need to tighten it some more.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894