View Single Post
Old 08-23-2016, 01:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
Howdy Y'all,

Like most my first post will be a request for help. So about 900 miles into my new Hawk 250. She starts to lightly bog down in all gears while i'm cruising. Then starts to increase in severity over time. She would (and still is) completely bog down and give me noting after a 1/4 turn. Then with a FOT either die or take off like a rocket.

I pulled the plug and was covered in black soot. So I'm thinking its too rich. Change the spark plug and fiddle with the stock carb but no change. Order in the mikuni carb. She idles and revs good but no change after a 1/4 turn. I drop the jet needle down a few notches to lean it up. No change. Tightened in the idle mixture screw. No change. Only thing I haven't done is changed the jets. But what came on it is a 98 and everything I've read. It seems people go up to a 110 or 115 to make it richer.

Now this is my first time tuning a carb and it's driving me crazy!! I'm pretty sure my problem is its too rich and it's flooding the engine after a 1/4 turn. Or I'm might not be getting enough air. But now I'm starting to question everything. I go into it think "Ok I get it. I know what's going on". To " DEAR GOD I'M GOING TO SET THIS BIKE ON FIRE AND WATCH IT BURN!!"

So any insight or thoughts on what else might be going on would be awesome!!
I would disconnect the hose and remove it, that one that goes between the carburetor and the air cleaner. Then try riding it that way. Now it should be too lean, if it is the air cleaner or the air cleaner hose causing the problem.