View Single Post
Old 12-02-2017, 08:41 AM   #7

I'm going to add to your confusion, and include a bit of a different perspective. I am responding because one of my kids is your age, and I appreciate that a) you write very well, and used good punctuation and grammer. B) That you have done an MSF course and have/are learning how to save money. Those above skills are rare in todays youth, and you are already 95% (or more) ahead of your peers. That is very commendable. Good work. That is a skill set that will take you far in life.

Now, on to the bike... what everyone here said is true, and yes, learning basic motorcycle maintenance is another skill set that will also take you far in life,and transfers into other hands on skills, like checking the oil in your car, knowing when you or your loved one has a flat tire and knowing how to fill it with air or change it. So, if you are a hands-on kind of guy, this can be a good bike. Mine, as many of us have had good reliability out of our bikes. They are new, so a warranty has been nice to have. ANY bike requires some basic hands on skills, Japanese, Chinese, Euro bikes.... ALL need daily tire pressure checks, chain lubrication, knowing how to spot a fraying clutch cable, etc. All that comes in time, and sites like this, ADVRider, YouTube are your friends. If you aren't a hands-on type, I wouldn't recommend ANY bike, as they all need some minor tinkering from time to time, otherwise, it is a cost prohibitive hobby at $90 per hour shop rates. It can be a fun and rewarding way to spend a few hours here and there, and like anything, your skills will grow, and there is a sense of pride for most when tackling tasks new to you. Speaking of saving, 25 years of riding has taught me that on almost every used bike I've bought, prepare financially to replace spark plugs, oil, tires/tubes, chain/sprokets, valve checks (some just for peace of mind as you can't always trust it was done and you want a baseline starting point for reliability). That can add up to $300 to the price of the used bike. So that drives the price up.

Speaking of friends, do you have a large friend base that rides? If so, what are they riding? Some of us have found that Chinese bikes are not as "cool" as Japanese bikes. You may not have the "street cred" that you would on say a DRZ400, WR250R. KLR, etc etc etc. That seems more important to those your age than it does at my age, or the other responders, who are more my age.

Since you live in Colorado which is a dual sport mecca, you may catch heat because you're on a RX3/RXR than if you were on an XT250. Just like your parents did if they owned Honda's and Toyota's in the late 70's. Chinese bikes have come a long way, and these have set a new standard for quality. I've never had anyone in person do anything but compliment my bike though. It's really good looking in person, it's really well made, and durable. Its important to some, not all. To one of my kids, fitting in is very important , to another son, it isn't, he does what makes him happy. For ME, I don't care what I ride, BUT I enjoy bikes that have a good internet forum support base, so I can learn from others, read what others have done with their bikes, see them in action in places I'll likely never ride, such as FJRMartin. He's done some amazing rides in beautiful places that I'll likely never go. That may or may not be important to you, but I'd advise against choosing a bike that has been phased out long ago, or is super rare, as you won't be able to learn as much that way, nor find a helping hand with maintenance or getting parts.

All of my counseling nonsense aside, I'll sum it up and hit the high points:
*I applaud your seeming maturity and sense of financial responsibility for working and saving toward a goal.
*Thank you for not wanting to start your hobby on a 600 supersport and being a statistic
* The RX you choose won't give you instant street cred with your riding peers until they see it for themselves, then you'll get some admiration (ask FJRMartin, he does a lot of dual sport group rides, but it's been my experience on a lesser level)
* It's a very good quality, nice looking bike, and is a credit to Chinese manufacturing and CSC for customer service which is the best I've ever seen
* Its a good enough bike that you wont see it as a newbie bike and feel the need to upgrade in 6 months than you would say on a Ninja 250. It's a bike you can keep and enjoy
* Keep learning as much as you can. Its a rewarding sport/hobby that can change your life with your experiences, the places you go, and the people you meet.

To see what is possible on this bike, or one like it, watch this guys video, it never fails to inspire me... and good luck on your journey
(if that doesn't work, YouTube: Alex Chacon Modern Motorcycle Diaries 500 days from Alaska to Argentina)