View Single Post
Old 01-24-2019, 07:49 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybiker View Post
I'm having a recurring issue with the back brake on my bike. It keeps jamming on.
It happened first about a year ago luckily on a short ride near home. The bike started to feel more and more gutless and finally I twigged it wasn't the engine but the brake. When I stopped the rear disc was so hot it had changed colour and was smoking. I could feel the heat radiating from it through my pants.

I immediately checked the pedal and master cylinder both seemed to be solid. I unbolted the master cylinder and checked all the linkages and the problem had disappeared. The bike went great for a couple of months then mid ride the bike started to slow and I immediately stopped to check the brake. Once again the rear disc was steaming. I unbolted the master cylinder and the brake released. Everything was fine for another couple of month riding then a month ago it happened again mid ride. I had noticed the pedal was really hard at the start of the ride and so pushed it really hard a couple of times and suddenly it seemed to unstick and the brake released and everything was fine.

When I got home I took a close look at the master cylinder and under the rubber cover where the pedal pushes the piston the cylinder walls had a coating of rust. The piston had jammed in the rusty cylinder jamming the brakes on.

Lots of CRC later the piston was moving freely again. Could this be the problem? Rust seizing the piston until a few good jabs of the pedal free things up for a while.

I'm going to strip the whole set up this weekend as I'm a bit nervous going on long rides until I'm sure its 100%.
It might pay worst case to replace the master cylinder if you can't 100% repair it - I can supply if needed or CSC