View Single Post
Old 07-13-2012, 10:51 PM   #18

Here's the VR buildup. I haven't made one of these for while so a few things got done twice. :oops:

Anyways, here goes.

Parts and stuff.

L to R:.063 rosin core solder, heat sink, 0.1MF cap, the heat gage below the cap, circuit board with a 5K ohm variable resistor, 240 ohm resistors below the 5K, LM317T adjustable VR(the heart), 1MF cap, dead Honda VR, and my solder iron.

Schematic.

This is printed on the back of the LM317T package.

Mostly completed. Clockwise from right, 5k ohm variable resistor, 0.1MF cap, 240 ohm resistor, LM317T adjustable voltage regulator, and 1MF cap.

Sans heat sink, case, and potting. The LM317T will be folder towards the board after adding the heat sink and the board will be trimmed when I decide on what case I'm using. I used the wires from the dead VR so everything hooks up as stock. No pics of the build-up because I didn't want to show off my less than stellar soldering skills.

Testing. Basically, using a battery charger as a power supply. Adjustment is made at the 5K ohm variable resistor.
Full 12.4 volt output from my 30 year old Snap-On battery charger.

Poor pic of minimum 1.2 volt output.

Dead nuts 7 volt output.

I'll be powering up the VR again tomorrow to do final test and drop some hot glue on the 5K ohm variable resistor to lock it in place before casing and potting.

:wink:

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts