Thread: Hawk Talk
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2017, 10:14 PM   #990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post
The Hawk is perfectly capable as it comes out of the box. 14 horsepower will get the job done. The brakes are adequate as it comes. The forks even work ok if you are not pushing it hard. It all works, if you are not fussy. On road, off road, it will be fine as it is. But I have never been all that satisfied with things as they come out of the box. Now, I'm not about to mortgage 40 acres of prime Mississippi bottom land, not even the cotton crop that comes off of it, to make it better. No, not me. But spending a couple of dollars for ATF fluid to improve front fork action is no problem. Another couple of bucks for DOT-3 brake fluid won't break my piggybank. Taking off those so-called rubber foot peg covers costs nothing but time. Changing the motor oil to a synthetic high quality brand is a what-the-hell, I was going to do it anyway. Taking the rear chain off the bike and cleaning it real well in kerosene, then giving it the hot wax treatment? Cheaper than a new chain. Making sure the front and rear axles, and the swing arm hinge bolt are greased is only time and a little grease, and checking the spokes, front and rear, by the ping test, this is a big deal? I think we've spent about twenty bucks total and a couple of hours work to improve our motor cycle all out of proportion, all for the cost of two packs of cigarettes in NYC. What a deal!...ARH
That about sums it up folks...close the thread
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~