Thread: Hawk Talk
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2017, 04:16 PM   #987

A Champagne appetite, and a beer wallet

Yeah, I used to have one of those too. I hankered after a Ferrari before common sense kicked in. A friend of mine had one, a Zagato bodied 3 liter Mille Miglea car. I got to drive it a few times. What a car. Not terribly practical, though. Likewise with motor cycles. This was the hay day of the 500cc V-8 Moto Guzzi. Yeah, I wanted one, but that bike was even more impractical than the Ferrari. A BSA Goldstar was impractical enough, even if it was a road bike. You had to learn the drill to even start that beastie! But, I eventually learned that I really liked riding dirt and gravel roads, and cow trailing more than I liked road riding. I had an old Triumph Trophy 500 that I tried to wear out on trails and dirt n' gravel roads. And easy starting. So, to the point. The bike I would buy now is a Hawk. The Hawk offers the mostest for the leastest as far as I am concerned. It has Ceriani style front forks. It has a frame that is as close to indestructable as you can get. It has a simple, easily tuned engine. It has electric starting - a modern feature that I like. It doesn't have 4 valves, no overhead camshafts, no water cooling, no fuel injection with its computer. Nothing terribly sophisticated, but it works. And it is cheap. What more can you ask....ARH