View Single Post
Old 01-06-2024, 08:56 PM   #18

I had a couple fantastic rides today. First was on the Templar where I am now on a sprocket and chain combination that feels like a Goldilocks setup for my street cruising and desert thumping needs: 14 tooth front, 42 tooth rear, x-ring chain. Previous setup was 13t front, 42t rear, with an o-ring chain.

It was a very cool day but warming up was quick once I got to the fun stuff. I pondered how fortunate I am to be out riding comfortably during winter.

Having a short break at home before switching back to the trusty TT'250' which is still on an o-ring chain, it was jarring to feel the decrease in power output. Can't remember the sprocket sizes but it is geared taller than stock with a common, middle-ground sprocket combo. Topping out at 5th gear on the street and a bonus of some open-throttle bogging from the carb did leave you wanting more. By the time I got into the off road stuff again, though, the motorcycle was well warmed up in its happy habitat, and I started having just as great of a time as I did back before the Templar stole the show.

The suspension really just can't compare, of course, and my stock not-so-knobbies are ready for replacement, but the TT250 still has its benefits. Super quiet by comparison, which can be refreshing when you're looking for a more relaxed or stealthy ride, something not so XTREME! Though they look very similar in dimensions while parked, sitting on the TT250 does feel substantially lower & more maneuverable. I don't even prefer the Seat Concepts seat anymore because it feels too low for me.

In contrast to the Templar, it's a scooter with dirtbike dreams. That kick-starter, though, will always be a great buddy to keep around.