View Single Post
Old 04-20-2017, 09:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Look down on the bell housing and see if there's two ears that stick up in the middle that bolt to nothing. If so, it's called a "Detroit case". They're like gold to rebuilders because they bolt to most any GM engine.

I had the Buick equivalent (Skylark) with a (Chevy) 350 4bbl and a t-350. Got it for free because of a bad trans. When I walked the bad trans into the tranny guy as a core, he almost had kittens when he saw it. He discounted the one I bought from him because of it. Thought that was nice of the guy. He could have said nothing and I would have been none the wiser.
Nope. When I pulled mine for a rebuild back in '98, I found it's a standard Buick TH350 trans. I had a complete wrecked Chevy 1500 SS 454 sitting in our lot just waiting to be a donor for the old Skylark. Unfortunately, the insurance writer let the owner buy it back. The owner's kid was out showing off in it. He didn't know how to deal with a full posi lock rear. He sent the truck sideways out of a curve straight sideways into a 30-inch diameter oak tree. The kid walked through the rest of high school.