View Single Post
Old 09-29-2021, 02:59 AM   #1

1981 XL185S Pooched Parts Bike

Trying to find a Decent parts bike to have some spares around incase my XLCG250 needs them.

I found this and payed a deposit so basically committed to purchase site unseen.

It was close enough that fuel and time wasn't a major pain.

No Idea what the history is other than it's a 1981 (same Vintage as me)
The seller had bought some lawn mowers and this was part of the sale agreement(take away)

I was mainly interested wheel/rim/drumbrake assemblies and I think the chrome will polish out and they seem straight. Triple tree is good front shocks usable, rear shocks seem fine.

The engine turns and has compression.

The box of miscellaneous parts had a gasket kit and piston rings...so i think someone was prepared to have a go fixing it but then tapped out.

The engine has been coated in some heavy black enamel paint/bed liner coating with no masking effort aka PITA.

But there is no ignition wiring.

most of the hardware has been replaced with discount hardware's finest.

Taking the non matching seat that was screw bolted into the side off the frame and fuel tank that is dented beyond hope...

The discovery is the frame had snapped near the top engine mounts and was welded back...I suspect it was ridden with the missing front engine mounts...

Any what this means is this frame is no good for roadworthy.

However I think I might try to make this poor clapped out 81 into a twinshock trails/backyard basher bike.

The project XL/CG250 road legal bike is still main priority.

going to sell off the non used original parts to recoup some costs first.
Attached Images