View Single Post
Old 09-28-2016, 01:06 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic View Post
This thread has been great to follow. I'm certain those who poo poo Chinese bikes would be surprised at the amount of care and calculations taken into account.

I'm also grateful for the wisdom and expertise of you guys who have ridden far longer than I have.

I noticed my Hawk was particularly unstable on some washboard terrain, and I think maybe I need to consider getting this shock.

A bead lock would allow you to lower the tire pressure. That makes a huge difference, the shock does make it handle the rocky trails better and im sure has a hand in traction as well..
the shock I installed will lower your seat height by about 3". the stock shock being 340mm and this one being 280mm.

So one could assume that a 300mm would lower the bike by 2" and a 320 by 1".. the spring weight of 1200 seems a bit softer than stock, although some people complain about the stock shock bottoming.. I weigh 165 and couldnt hardly actuate the stock shock. with the 1200 spring i did add a turn of preload to avoid bottoming..

If I had to shop this out again I might have looked for a shock with a compression adjustment, in addition to the rebound and preload adjusters.

Ive seen that shock for $66 from a different ebay seller.. look around..