View Single Post
Old 11-23-2015, 12:55 PM   #4

The XR's have a funny story.

Years ago, when I got the original Dirt Rat, it was part of the deal that involved Roger buying these XRs for his daughters.

I fixed them up and got them running good for him. He had no place to keep them or ride them so I stored them for him and the girls rode them on my property. They rode them about twice...

I held onto them for Roger since them, first at my home and then after I moved after the divorce I brought them to my hangar.

They have not been ridden for years.

Then Tammy comes along and I wanted to teach her how to ride. I asked Roger if I got them runnning again, and considering I've stored them for free for about 6 years, if I could ride them with Tammy.

They needed tires, valves checked, oil changes, rear suspension rebuild (on one of them), fork seals on the other, a carb cleaning on the other. Spark plugs, air filters, seat cover, replace bent handlebars, grips, replace bent or broken levers and foot controls etc. and I got them both operating 100%. It was more than a little work and some $ (mostly for the tires and suspension rebuild kits) but not too bad.

They start first kick and run great. One has a little blue smoke I think is coming from a valve seal. No fouled plugs. Down the road I may treat them to rebuilds but for now it is not needed.

So, the bottom line, I'm into them for $400 and about 8 hours of labor and 6 years of storage. Not a bad deal.