View Single Post
Old 08-21-2009, 11:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
You offer an excellent alternative when you suggest trimming the plastic all the way back from the front of the fuel tank to the lower rear. However, I can't think of a good tool that would accomplish that task. :( I used a hack saw and Dremel tool to remove the plastic on the front of my tank shroud; it was not an easy task. :( I don't think a hot knife would work well cutting this plastic. Perhaps the best tool to use would be a coping saw. :?:

Spud
A coping saw isn't a bad idea. You could also try a drill saw, although you need to move relatively quickly, or the plastic just turns to goo. Drill saws (as the name implies) are really just serrated drill bits that allow lateral cuts rather than just vertical drilling. You'll likely find them at your local Harbor Freight.

You could also try judicious use of a flap disc on a 4 1/2" angle grinder. Sneak up on it, and you could sand away all the offending material. Stop short of your final cut and hand sand the last bit. That's all I can come up with.

A mask is advisable, since there have been several reports of lead in plastic that comes from China.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer