View Single Post
Old 08-21-2009, 11:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal25
I am not a fan of the fake shrouds on these bikes either. Cutting the excess off would make the bike slimmer in the tank area thus reducing wind drag I would imagine. If there was a clean way to cut back all the way back to create a smooth line from the upper front of the tank cover to the lower rear, that would be the best for me. However I think the ugliness of the plain black tank under the cover.

What are you using to cut it with? Something like a hot knife might work well.
I would have left things as they were, but one of the brackets on the tank plastic broke off. Also, I was glad to lose the extra weight from the metal pieces that attached the tank shroud to the bike's frame.

In answer to your question, Cal, it is not an easy task to cut the Zong plastic. The Zong plastic is thicker, more brittle, much harder to cut, and definitely inferior to the plastic found on Japanese motorcycles. :( The brittle plastic allowed vibration alone to break off the shroud's connector after 14,000 miles.

Incidentally, I consider the wide, soft seat on my Zong to be one of this motorcycle's nicest features. I frequently ride my Zong for 300 miles a day, and the wide seat makes these excursions bearable. I would remove the tank plastic entirely, but this would leave a space between the Zong's seat and the fuel tank. Also, the wide seat extends too far past the sides of the fuel tank without the plastic tank shroud in place. :(

You offer an excellent alternative when you suggest trimming the plastic all the way back from the front of the fuel tank to the lower rear. However, I can't think of a good tool that would accomplish that task. :( I used a hack saw and Dremel tool to remove the plastic on the front of my tank shroud; it was not an easy task. :( I don't think a hot knife would work well cutting this plastic. Perhaps the best tool to use would be a coping saw. :?:

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894