View Single Post
Old 11-29-2014, 01:21 PM   #13

No offence was intended. We never know how much experience a rider has with maintenance.

Interesting. The axle must've taken quite a hit for it to bend.

You could separate the axle from the housing and place it in a cheap set of V blocks to determine where the bend is, but I haven't reconciled how to straighten it. I suppose you could clamp it in a strong vise, apply a little heat and tweak it with a long piece of pipe over the end. You could confirm your progress with the V blocks and a cheap dial indicator.

If you choose to try that, you could also use that opportunity to change the bearings to fully sealed units, and to install a couple of zerks. If you pump the housing full of grease, you'll prevent water from entering, and the bearings will last a long time. The mistake I made was to only install one zerk, so the air pressure had nowhere to go. Read about it here: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=7892

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer