View Single Post
Old 12-02-2010, 10:01 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillR
Lithium batteries don't like heat build-up during charge...
Bill R
I agree, i have found that out in my LIPO packs for my RC plane, but the nice part is they are not using LIPO or Li-ion packs but the much better LiFePO4 batteries which while not the lightest of the bunch, are much better suited to high draws and faster charge times, here's a bit more info on the lithium phosphates batteries, i like the "will not catch fire if over charged", i haven't had a problem but i've heard of RC guys losing their cars and workshop/garages to LIPO fires while charging.

LiFe Rechargeable Battery
Why LiFe Battery?

•High Performance —High theoretical capacity of 170mah/g and high practical capacity as high as 165mah/g.
•Extremely Safe/Stable Chemistry —High intrinsic safety , no explosion & will not catch fire under collision, over charged or short circuit. High thermal stability of phases up to 500C.
•High Rate Capability —For all high power output application
•Extraordinary Long Cycle Life -Best can up to 2000 cycle life, would be over 8 times life of Lead Acid and 3-4 times of Li-ion.
•Long Service Life —Around 5~6 years
•Environmentally Friendly Non-toxic, non-contaminating and No rare metal
•Wide working temperature range —From -4 F to 150 F (-20 C–+70C) Extremely cold and extremely hot weather will not effect its performance
•Flexible Form Factor —Small in size and light in weight 1/3 weight of Lead Acid and 65% weight of NIMH.
•No memory effect
•Fast Charge —Can be fully charged in a very short time ---2C fast charge within half hour