View Single Post
Old 10-04-2010, 11:55 AM   #42

About a month ago, Brad and I got into the connectors at the control box, and we found the wire that controls the governor. In stock form, there's a small switch next to the throttle that allows switching from (so called) high speed to low speed, and it's a nuisance if you hit it accidentally. We disconnected it to allow full speed only.

I chatted with Brad this past Saurday at our annual Church event that benefits single parents. We provide free oil changes, along with whatever the sponsors are able to donate, like wiper blades, ww fluid, air fresheners, whatever. We also had a clothing section set up, and the single parents were able to help themselves to whatever they needed. There was also a free haircutting service for the kids, and then a photographer provided free photos as well. I think we changed oil on over 30 cars on Saturday.

Back to the topic: Brad reported that the scooter is somewhat faster off the line now, as long as he eases on the throttle, rather than WOT starts. He also says that hills are a little easier, and top speed seems a little higher. We can't quantify any of this yet, since there is no speedometer. We've considered installing an electric speedometer for bicycles.

Both Brad and I are concerned about his inability to get away from trouble quickly, like making a left in traffic. He's considering a gas scooter. We found a BW (Zuma to our American friends) at a local dealer (that is an aquaintance of mine). It has a lot of miles on it, but Brad can have it for around $800. He can likely sell his existing scooter for $500. Brad hasn't decided yet, because he'll have to factor in insurance and plates, along with fuel.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer