View Single Post
Old 09-25-2010, 10:52 AM   #44

Location: Wheeling, WV native currently living In Natchitoches, LA
Send a message via AIM to BrianW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oengus
You should have gotten a title when you bought it? What was the reason that you did not get a title?

I would say that when you attempt to get a title the first thing they will ask is were is the original title. Your actually doing work on a motorcycle that is still owned by whoever’s name that is on the original title.

Getting that straightened out first is good advice.

The last person that registered the motorcycle is about the only person that can get a title, if it was lost they were the last person that can prove they own it. Think about it, the title gets it registered, you cannot register it unless you can prove you own it.

When you buy the motorcycle your actually buying a title, the holder has to sign it over to you. Otherwise legally you do not own it. Did you get a receipt from the seller? That receipt should have had details as to why the title was missing and also would have to be notarized. If the person that sold it never registered it, then why?

It’s going to take some time, but basically they will not allow a title pending a search across all states for a report that it was stolen. Having a statement/receipt from a previous registered owner that the title was lost would help.

Stop working on it if you suspect it’s stolen you will be forced to give it up. The only real numbers that matters is the VIN stamped on the neck.
I am not so worried about it being stolen anymore, as I have a friend at the DMV that did a VIN search on it. I knew if it came back hot he would not turn me in. :wink: It came back clear.

My thought process before knowing for sure that it was not stolen was that if all else fails, I would have a very strange looking off-road bike. i wouldn't have gotten myself into a situation for it to be legally seized.

Thank you for all of your input so far, gentlemen.