View Single Post
Old 08-24-2010, 09:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
Hey,

Glad to see we have some more T3 Rebel members joining.

Like any new item out of the box it requires some tinkering to get it right.

It sounds to me like you need to do some carb tuning. As much as that other stuff is an irritant (plug wires etc) the biggest thing you are describing is all in your carb tune. Not running without choke or air cleaner etc.

You have three settings on your carb. An idle screw, an air/fuel screw, and your top cap removes to expose the needle which has position clips on it. You need to have the air/fuel screw and needle clip in the right positions for your altitude and temperature for your engine to run the way it's supposed to (smooth idle, making power, not too rich or too lean)

You've made the right step with the new carb en route. I'd probably wait for it to arrive and tune it accordingly. The stock carbs are really flakey for most.

The other advice in the posts is very valid for increased performance, but your quad should run fine with the better carb and no other upgrades, if you so choose to leave it like that.

..that is without us getting into the chain issue.
Yeah, it is frustrating though, the X31 dirtbike required almost no tinkering, and I've been beating the trails every weekend with it. Other then sticking an NGK cap on the existing wire, I am gonna wait until the new carb arrives before I do anything with the quad.

Only reason I didn't replace the chain immediately, as I did with the dirtbike, is it doesn't have the size stamped on the links. So I need to pull the chain and take it with me to get a replacement.

A wishlist item for these Chinese units is I wish they would design some rubber engine mounts, instead of bolting them right to the frame. Would get rid of some of the vibration, and decrease the problem of frames breaking at motor mount points!