View Single Post
Old 08-23-2010, 09:44 PM   #1

Rebel T3 200cc Problems

Just got this quad, I already had a X31 250cc dirtbike purchased about 2 months ago which I love, other than replacing the crappy stock chain I have had no problems with it... other than tires are getting burned off, some quality ones on the way.

I have some experience with Chinese gas-powered vehicles, I have imported pocket bikes, dirt bikes, quads in the past.

The Rebel assembled fine, other than the rear rack didn't line up with the frame, had to whack it with a hammer to straighten it, the bars were crooked. Filled all connectors with dielectric grease, replaced those chrome Philips bolts that hold the body panels together, etc. with stainless steel ones, because those chrome ones always immediately rust as soon as they get wet. Rerouted and tie wrapped things properly, tightened all bolts...

It ran fine in my yard, did a few test cycles to make sure it was OK. Next morning, I pulled the carb and intake to check gaskets, it sounded like it was leaky. No problems, so I used some gasket compound to seal it anyways. Reassembled, changed the crap factory plug with an NGK.

So I get it out to our riding area, and the damn thing won't run unless the choke is all the way on. I check obvious stuff, nothing. Someone there tells me I MUST oil the air filter element, so we do that. No change. I pull the air filter and housing off, wondering if somehow the choke is backwards - nope, and I discover for some reason it won't run with the aircleaner assembly off?

I put the original plug back in - no change. Decide to look at the plug cap.. and the wire falls right out. Are these just jam fitted in there? Jam it back in, let the thing warm up for a while, finally runs reasonable but not much power, are these things supposed to run so hot?

At home today, decide to maybe change the plug wire and cap... is this wire molded right into the ignition coil? GREAT.... or is it?

I've got a "performance" Mikuni carb on the way from GIO, same one apparently as on my X31 dirtbike. The existing carb sure ain't a Mikuni, it has something else stamped on it.

Any suggestions I would appreciate it!