View Single Post
Old 06-16-2010, 03:58 PM   #38

I understand, a lot of people dislike Telus from previous experiences. I've never had a home phone, and don't require one so I can't comment on those. I did have a Telus cell phone many years ago, I recall the reception being good, but expensive. Apparently the Minerva tv service Telus was operating is not on par with this new "Optik" service (media room).

I agree Telus is aggressive with their promotions. If I didn't add the additional channel pack, I would be at $20 a month for 1 year for tv and internet, with a free hd pvr rental and free first month. So in year one I would only spend $220. With Shaw, I did have a few more channels I believe, but ones I didn't want, and no HD PVR, my internet was about 5Mbps faster. I was spending $95 a month. So in the same 12 month span I would spend $1140. My only additional cost is I purchased my second digital box (which I didn't have with Shaw), which also works with the PVR, for $150, rather then renting it for $10 a month. So in year one (everything is pre-tax), I'm spending $370. That means I'm saving $770 and getting a better service (my service, not comparing your Shaw service).

The way I see it, even if I don't like it, after year one I'll save enough to cancel Telus. The cancellation fee I believe is $10 a month, so if I cancel with 2 years remaining, it would be $240. Take that off my savings and I still save $530. I figured I had to give it a try, it was either that or cancel Shaw TV and just watch stuff online. I think that would have still cost me more.

I was told for year 2 and 3, my bill (including my channel pack) would be $65 / month, $30 less then my Shaw bill.

Oh I did forget the channel pack in the above calculations, so I think it would add another $66 to year one, and $72 to year 2 and 3.

I know my parents on the other hand, aren't in an area serviced my Telus TV (Optik). They do have the internet, but I think it is the 3Mbps profile, however I am unsure. The quality of it there isn't spectacular, but we believe there is wiring issues between the road and the house, and possibly in the house for the phone lines. It does work, it just needs resetting sometimes.

And I suppose I should throw in a movie pick here too...

Con Air... I really like this movie for some reason.