View Single Post
Old 04-20-2010, 01:28 AM   #15

'08 KLR650

Quote:
The '08 is the new version of the KLR650, isn't it? I hear they made a number of significant improvements to the newer KLRs. However, I didn't care for the large fairing, and the added weight of the newer KLRs; in my opinion, you have solved those problems quite nicely! If you don't mind, please tell me more about how you removed the fairing. Also, I assume you needed the '07 radiator to accommodate the aftermarket fuel tank; am I correct? This bike is absolutely beautiful!

Spud
Spud,
Yes, my KLR650 is the new '08 version. Here's what it looked like at 23 miles. I started farkling it the day I got it.

New 19/17" Excel wheels and LED signals

The new fairing and windscreen originally drew me to '08 KLR. I was riding a new KTM 950 Adventure S at the time, but was looking for something more simple and much lighter. I needed a bike to ride on long trips, so the windscreen was important. A buddy let me ride his '08 KLR650 and I really liked it. In fact, I like it so much that after a trip to Deal's Gap, I vowed to never ride the 950 again. Got the new KLR for Christmas a couple of months later. Never did like the red color, so here's the second version of my KLR.

Spruce Knob, WV. Same bike.

Hellbender Burritos in Thomas

Cool Springs, WV.

You're right about the '07 radiator. The IMS tank requires that conversion. The '08 radiator doesn't fit with the IMS fuel tank. The good part is that I easily sold the stock '08 radiator for enough ($450) to do the '07 radiator conversion (about $350). The '07 radiator needs a new screen and a new fan switch. I actually got all that for less than $350. The fairing, fairing stay, stay mount and gauges were all removed from the bike easily. All of it unbolted but the mount. I cut the mount off the frame with an angle grinder. Cleaned the frame with a sanding paddle and then repainted the frame. If you didn't know it was there, you couldn't tell. Turned out great. The gauges were sold for $200. That cash and the leftover money from the radiator paid for all my Trail Tech parts. The conversion will also need a couple new radiator mounts. I hope to finish those this coming weekend. It's all pretty much straightforward stuff. The electrical part of the project will be the worst. These bikes have way too much wiring. The safety interlocks will not be reused. Well, maybe for a little while. I wanna RIDE. The vacuum operated fuel valve was ditched long ago, just like the sidestand safety switch. Leave it down once and you'll never forget it again. Back in the old days we didn't have those anyway. I like simple and light. This bike is an exercise in weightloss. I'm looking to remove much more, if I can! The heavy muffler and stock header are next on the hit list.

Again, thanks for the kind words Spud. I just want to say that I've enjoyed reading about your Zongshen. I have one of those also. You've done some great mods there. Sorry for the late reply to your post. Had a long weekend at work. :wink: I'll try to take some good pictures of the bike tomorrow with a better background. I got a little more done today. The headlight is raise up and secure and the new KTM Military mirrors are on it. Nice!

SamM

Re-adjusted and raised headlight mounting bracket
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E
1979 Yamaha XS650 Special II