View Single Post
Old 02-14-2010, 07:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
I think half of the "American" cars are built in Canada. Or at least they used to be. The other half in Mexico.
Here, in Canada, we have a long tradition of "butchering" vehicles. I *guess* this is mainly because any vehicle plants here are "foreign branch plants", rather than the "real" thing, because there are few (or no) Canadian "makes". It would surprise you the oddities we see here. Trucks built here are referred to as "Japanese", this would include Mack, Freightliner, Kenworth and Peterbilt. We have "Newfoundland" (or Newfie) Toyota, and Volvo cars (assembled with whatever "they" could find in Nova Scotia), a full range of GM cars with Chevy running gear, and some fairly strange buses, assembled out of whatever was in the parts bin, at the time of assembly. Our military vehicles (assembled in Canada) are a strange mixture of foreign, and N. American stuff, lacking any standardization, or interchangeability, built in hastily set up temporary factories, staffed with temporary workers, in areas of low employment. I will not discuss helicopters.