View Single Post
Old 02-03-2010, 10:21 PM   #17

I'm not sure how it works on your side of the border, but we can import vehicles into Canada (from countries other than the US) that are at least 15 years old, and they won't need to comply with the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (CMVSS). As a result, we are currently seeing importers bring 200 right hand drive vehicles per month into BC, mostly from Japan (not sure of the volume into other Provinces).

A high number of these vehicles are tiny four wheel drive cab-over flat deck trucks with diesel engines. I think they're interesting, but I don't want right hand drive.

This is a by-product of the Japanese laws concerning vehicle mileage (not meaning economy). Once a vehicle hits a certain number (I think it's around 20000km, which takes a long time to accumulate in Japan), either the car must receive a new engine, or the entire car must be sold off-shore. As a result, container loads of vehicles are being shipped to Canada for low prices (as are containers of engines). As a bonus, Japanese Domestic Market (JDM) vehicles are often higher performance than the US or Canadian counterparts.

Forum members, please feel free to correct me as necessary.

BTW, we can import new US vehicles into Canada, and I don't think that there is an age restriction anymore (it used to be two years, IIRC).

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer