View Single Post
Old 12-27-2009, 03:55 PM   #6

I agree that purchasing most motorcycles will not save the consumer any money. In the summer of 2007, gasoline prices surpassed $4.00/gallon in Idaho; the high cost of fuel prompted me to once again buy a motorcycle. However, at that time, an experienced rider explained to me how expensive it can be to own a typical motorcycle! After examining the purchase price, and the operating costs associated with most motorcyles, I decided to buy my Zongshen 200GY-2.

If you do your own maintenance, owning a scooter, or a small-displacement motorcycle with a single cylinder, air-cooled engine, can be fairly inexpensive. The Chinese have traditionally produced motorcycles for their domestic market, which demands inexpensive vehicles with low operating costs. This is why so many Chinese motorcycles represent such an exceptional value; they are relatively inexpensive, and they cost little to operate. However, if you buy a typical, high-displacement, Japanese motorcycle, you will definitely not be saving any money over operating an automobile.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894