View Single Post
Old 12-04-2009, 05:34 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnEdwards
Is this a picture of your CDI?

If so, set up your quad to run - all kill switches off, tether plug in place, ignition switch on. Then unplug the CDI and use you meter to measure the kill switch pin resistance (in ohms) in the wiring harness to ground. It should read infinite ohms (open circuit). If it reads a very low value of resistance (less than 100 ohms) then you have a kill switch problem. We can go from there.

If you have a different CDI such as a 4 pin version (much less common than the above 5 pin version) then that's a complete different path.

If you don't have a kill switch problem then the next step is to use your meter to measure the power supply voltage to the CDI, the trigger voltage to the CDI, and the resistance of the coil primary to ground. We can go there if necessary.

Kill switch issues (and associated wiring) are the most common causes of no spark and the easiest to fix. That's the place to start. We can branch out from there as needed.
You guys are a wonderful wealth of knowledge, thank you! I'm in the exact same position as the original poster.

I have a Roketa 50cc quad, the same electrical system as this thread. Today I ran down and got another CDI unit, hoping this was the problem, but no luck. Then I found this thread. I did as mentioned, and the kill switches are ruled out.

(EDIT) Forgive my stupidity, tested wrong pins originally. :oops:

The power supply voltage to the CDI, measured when cranking, is around 46 volts, could be more if the battery is fully charged. Timing trigger registers 5.3 volts, and a resistance test on this pin is 0.5 ohms. Ground pin checks ok, kill switch checks ok, and the ignition coil pin shows no voltage.

Any ideas? Thanks!