View Single Post
Old 12-02-2009, 12:36 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnEdwards
Quote:
Originally Posted by l00ker
... I am now getting spark! Turns out it was a connection at the rectifier....
I'm glad you're getting spark, and I certainly hope it stays that way. But I'm in a quandry... Do I let sleeping dogs lie, or warn you that there's a sleeping dog nearby that might wake back up...

I don't think problems with your rectifier has anything to do with your "no spark" problem. There are two independent power supply systems on your quad. One is the 12 volt system which includes your battery, the battery charge winding on your stator, the rectifier/regulator, the starter, lights, etc. The other is the ignition system power which is AC and moderately high voltage (one to several hundred volts). They aren't related (or connected) at all. You need the battery to spin the engine and get it started (unless you also have a kick start). Once the quad is started you can remove the battery and rectifier/regulator altogether and the quad will still run. With all this 12 volt stuff removed, and if you have a kick start, the quad will start up fine. All the ignition stuff is running off the stator high voltage ignition winding, and triggered by the the third stator winding outside the flywheel.

If someone told you that they had problems with their car idling rough, and then after a lot of trying different things they said he finally fixed it by tightening up the wheel lug nuts, what would you tell them?

Note (for completeness only): There are quad ignition systems that run off 12 volts, but not if you have a five pin CDI, plus you already verified that the CDI is powered with 65 volts AC while cranking. 12 volt powered ignitions are found on some newer quads, and are much less common. On these quads the high voltage winding from the stator is missing, or not wired up to the CDI.

As far as carburetors, I found this generic youtube video quite good:

I agree with your thinking lynn, but looking at the wiring diagram i posted, the wire coming from the recifier to the CDI looks like it is the grounding wire, and a CDI with out a ground would be a major cause of no spark, agree ?