View Single Post
Old 11-11-2009, 02:58 AM   #1

Fun with TurboT's Gio Beast

T left me alone with his quad, and I got bored.

I chopped the hideous (and heavy) stock muffler off of the pipe, flush with the end of the muffler. The muffler corrects the angle of the pipe, so a flush cut was the best move for future consideration (more on that later). I intend to experiment with a Gio muffler that is intended for a 125 Pit Bike. That sounds kinda small, but the pipe diameter actually matches the Beast. I have experience with the Pit Bike muffler, and it's a hot rod piece.

Here's the side view of the chopped pipe. I kind of like it this way, but it would likely start the carb and filter on fire.

It's deceiving from that angle. Here's the pipe from the rear.

Here's the future consideration I spoke of. T might want a Monster muffler installed eventually, and here's a mock-up of one I had laying around.

I entertained the thought of just attaching the muffler to the chopped pipe and calling it a day, but it'll likely hit the tire on suspension compression, and there's nothing to attach it to.

Dig that stinger look.

I decided to weld in a piece of pipe to connect the chopped pipe and the Pit bike muffler. I attached the muffler to the rear rack mount via the supplied clamp. That welding blanket is made by Levis.

Here's the rear view. It looks straight. Sorta.

I'll fire it up tomorrow and find out just how obnoxious it is. Stay tuned.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer