View Single Post
Old 11-07-2009, 12:04 AM   #11

Once again, Doc, I am so very happy that you were not seriously injured! Thank you for sharing your accident with us, so we can learn from your experience.

Perhaps the most important lesson I have learned from your accident is this: Stay off high-speed, limited-access freeways with small displacement motorcycles. Doc, if you had been riding your Gold Wing, or another, large-displacement motorcycle, you could have easily accelerated away from danger. However, your 200cc Zong was being pushed to its absolute limit, and it did not have any reserve power to move you quickly away from danger. :(

I enjoy using my Zong as a small-displacement, adventure bike. I frequently ride my Zong hundreds of miles away from home, but I ride exclusively on secondary, and tertiary roads. Based upon your unfortunate accident, I intend to keep this policy. Many automobile drivers travel faster than the speed limit. Also, the higher the speed limit, the faster they speed. It might seem trite, but the old aphorism is true: Speed kills. :(

As motorcycle riders we are vulnerable. Without a steel cage to protect us, we must rely upon superior maneuverability, and superior acceleration, to help us avoid danger. Therefore, we must always have some reserve power available to help speed us away from danger.

Because of the high speeds, limited-access freeways are dangerous places for low-displacement motorcycles. I think a good rule of thumb is this: If you can’t easily cruise at the speed limit, with some reserve power available, you should not be riding that road on your motorcycle.

I thank God that you were not seriously injured, or killed, Doc! I will pray for your rapid, and complete recovery.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894