View Single Post
Old 11-01-2009, 08:33 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynev
PCD, if the rubber looked bad to start with then you probably weren't going to get a good seal anyways, but if you re-read my 1st post it says you must be able to put them back in by hand, if you needed a clamp then you added too much tape in the groove.

One thing to remember is the nitrogen is supposed to be sealed in that rubber cap, the seals on the outside of that cap is what keeps the oil from leaking out and the nitrogen from leaking into the oil. IMHO i think those rubber caps are defective.
No argument from me. I'm with you from the first post onward. Its a dual purpose rubber sac, supposed to seal on the OD and ID.

Maybe i did not word my post correctly. If you re-read it though, I said I used a C-Clamp and a flat washer to insert the red cap and boot evenly so as not to install it cocked.

I used two finger pressure to push it in. With the C-Clamp.

The air was leaking out, not the oil. The VERY slight rubber shavings will attest to the fact the oil is not going anywhere, and should confirm to you that there was enough material in the O-ring groove to create a very tight seal. The leak is from the machined undercut in the red piece.

Now, let me tell you what I think..those cans are one of two things...either a shit swaging job, or they used a roller on a lathe, OR a hydraulic die.
Have you ever used or seen a hydraulic fitting swaging machine? Foot pedal, die opens up, insert shock can, let off pedal, hydraulic pressure seals it forever. I think as well as maybe a poorly machined piece, they did not "squeeze" it enough. Mine came out by hand for goodness sakes.

8mm bolt and yanked. Out it came.

I've seen more than a few and actually have one at work. It uses a collet to swage down the dia.

I suspect these things are oil filled, assembled, and then are supposed to be swaged down permanently on the yellow can. I dont for a second think these were ever designed to be "repaired" or modified. Build em, seal em, ship em.

We do hydraulic crap even larger OD than this..just a small little machine stuck in the corner, used once in a blue moon.

If I wasnt so stupid today I would have looked for a similar sized die and given it a whirl.

Look at the marks on the gold can. I've been around machine shops for over 30 years and know what I'm looking at