View Single Post
Old 11-01-2009, 06:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynev
That too may work, but i'm pretty sure tubes are around .030"-.050" thick which will be too much based on the amount of floss i used, i used about 2 layers of floss that covered the surface of that groove and that seemed to work.
Alrighty, thanks to waynev's excellent pics i had both mine apart quickly today.
Both lands at the top of the rubber sac were non existant. So I tried anyway using 4 wraps of teflon tape (apprx. 0.025)...had a bitch of a time getting them back in, but I used a large diameter flat washer under my C-clamp to insert them straight. A very minute amount of rubber seal got shave off so they certainly were tight enough.

Oh, both my cans were 50% full of oil so I left them alone.

Then I used two new O rings for the schraders. Then I used 2 new stems for the schraders.

Both leaked like a sieve.

Hmmm...OK, took out schrader, put in new O ring again, used large flat washer with ID the same as the schrader. Put O ring on shock counterbore which is cut out for the O ring to sit, flat washer next, schrader last.

No Joy but I promise you they werent leaking around the schrader.

Pail of water, nitrogen, and pissed off Pete was next.

Both shocks looked like Jacques Coustou diving on a coral reef.

Now I'm really annoyed.

Soooo...went to the tire area and found some extensions and put them on, then got some kind of dual tube expoxy resin crap that hardens like concrete and went to town.

At this point they are garbage anway, what do I have to lose?

Stay tuned...I'll give em a couple days to dry...if they still leak...I give up.