View Single Post
Old 10-28-2009, 11:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
I think that VinceDrake bought one; I'm pretty sure he started a thread on it.
Yup, I did, still have it. Have had some minor issues with it that are driving me nuts, but all in all I'm very happy with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon
What is the top speed of the CJ without sidecar?

[Note: Mine has the overhead-valve engine, and higher gearing]

With sidecar, I Got a ticket for 120km/h in a 100km zone, but that was everything it had, 100% WFO. And it don't stop from that speed worth a hill of beans. I think my Tow Truck could stop faster. With a car on the back.

Without the sidecar (It comes off easy) Really, it gets really, really nasty/scary sounding around 120-125, and really it's right out of it's rev range. Theretically, they are supposed to be able to do 135 with no sidecar, and the high-speed gearing (Mine has) On flat ground, with no wind.

Realistically though, cruising speed for the OHV with the Higher geared rear end is about 90-95 with or without the chair. Beyond that you're way out of the engine's rev range, and it's baking and begging for mercy

With stock rear gear ratio, 85-90 cruising speed with the OHV

The flatheads, theoretically will sprint to 110-115 no bucket, higher gears, and cruise at 90. Stock gearing, Cruising speed 80km/h, bucket or not.

Basically, the whole thing is built on 1938 technology. I wasn't there, but from what I gather the world was a slower, and less reliable place back then....

--Vince
[/quote]