View Single Post
Old 10-12-2009, 02:24 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal25
What map sets do you use in the Garmin? I have Metro Guide or City Giude, not sure which it is. Thinking of adding Toppo maps to it but have not been convinced I need it.
I primarily use the Garmin Topo 2008 map set, Cal. This map set is a bit outdated. Some times a dual track road shows up as a hiking trail. Some times a trail leads through a mountain pass, but the Garmin Topo 2008 map set shows it terminating at a lower elevation. :?

However, the Topo 2008 map set is still an excellent resource. I enjoy always knowing exactly where I am, and the exact elevation. I especially appreciate the elevation contours that help me to judge the steepness of a trail, and the views the trail will afford.

I also have the Garmin MetroGuide map set. In the past I have unloaded the Topo 2008 map set, and loaded the MetroGuide map set when riding along the narrow Wasatch Front, north of Salt Lake City. I would switch map sets to help guide me through the “urban jungle.” I figured the more recent version of the MetroGuide map set would help me avoid Interstate 15, and stay on the secondary roads while negotiating the crazy, heavy urban traffic. However, I now basically keep the Topo 2008 map set loaded at all times. I think it does a pretty good job in the city, and a excellent job in the mountains.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894