View Single Post
Old 10-12-2009, 10:34 AM   #18

I only have a couple hours before I have to go in to work (yay).

EDIT: Yes, it was the carb, as well as the missing screw, the clip that sets the lean/rich mixture was off the needle...dont ask me how it ever ran in the first place.
MIKUNI: Nice piece, the slide looks to be coated, maybe Teflon? There are 2 issues, one small and one PITA...idle needs adjusting, fine...but the bigger problem is the choke.

I have read others comments where they say the bracket wont fit, but I have no choice but to try....the choke on the Mikuni keeps flipping ON...it does not have a big external return spring like the original did, just a very small internal one (I think) and a small detent. After 30 seconds of vibration the choke slips to the "on" position and stalls the bike....Takes no pressure to push the choke lever "on"...I think if a fly landed on it it would engage, so you can imagine what a few seconds of ATV vibration does to it.

The Mikuni has the same cable bracket and locating pin as the original carb...it looks like that arm will come right off the old one and on the Mikuni...lets hope so.

EDIT: Upon closer inspection it looks like a direct swap (choke bracket and return spring). the plastic choke lever is identical and the casting boss on the Mikuni is in the same place...

Looks like it can be done with the carb on. I know, better to take it off, but less risk of screwing up the slide-needle-spring if i leave it on...in reality it is only a Phillips screw and a spring. The choke cable is easy to get on the lever.

Forgot to mention..when I dissassembled the original carb, the throttle cable that is attached to the slide was NOT running correctly down the "inside" of the spring, but jammed between the spring and slide housing. It even has score marks on it.
When I removed the air filter, you could almost dump the gas out of it, which may be caused by a stuck float? On the other hand, the float moved freely and there was no grunge in the bowl at all.
Pete