View Single Post
Old 09-29-2009, 03:45 PM   #44

Quote:
Right, but I'm asking how they compare? Guess he doesn't know yet
How does the 13hp diesel engine compare to what? How does the 13hp diesel engine compare to my 38hp gasoline engine? There is no comparison! The 13hp engine gets over 100+mpg, runs on fuel I can make and doesn't use gasoline. That's a WIN, WIN, WIN situation! As to the performance. I have no idea yet. I suspect that there is no real performance comparison either. All things even, the gasoline engined, manual transmission KLR that I have would walk away from a diesel powered, CVT transmission KLR. The guy that originally did this conversion reports a 65 to 70mph topspeed with a 10hp engine. I hope mine does that good or better. Because I realize this engine is severly limited for streetuse, the CVT equipped version may never happen. I am working on alternative drives to address the power deficiency.

Right now, I'm looking at an electric drive system that could give me a much higher 90+mph topspeed. Maybe even better. The downside is that it is very heavy, very expensive and I have to somehow power the thing! Think of it as a modern diesel/electric railway locomotive. BIG POWER, but it sips fuel! With reduced power usage, meaning a light throttle hand running the electric drive and cut back engine speeds to make electricity, I believe that upwards of 150+mpg could be possible, maybe more! Hey, if you're going to dream, dream big! I'm still trying to find out how big a power source I'll need and how much continuous power I'll need to produce. It will be expensive and it will delay the project some. I'm not rich and I have other priorities. I do know that it would produce lower emissions (with bio-fuel) and get great mileage. Unlike an pure electric motorcycle I would have unlimited range. It might not be on bio-fuel but I could go as far as I wanted on it. This is just a big science project and a learning exercise for me, as I have a much bigger project in mind for the future. Over the past few weeks, it's mushroomed out of control as I've had a lot of extra time (riding on jet aircraft) to roll things over in my mind. Then I found the much more powerful hub mounted electric motor that I've been waiting for.

Check the pictures below. If it works, I'll sell all the rest of my motorcycles to finance this one project. I may need a bigger diesel engine and that's where the next big expense will come. I have the same motorcycle that the bike in the lower picture is made from sitting in my shop. I can sell all of the original engine, wiring and parts that I don't need to help finance some of it. The current bike that I am building will also be sold along with my new 2008 KLR650.

Up untill very recently, I had always considered the purchase of my 2005 KTM 950 Adventure as a big mistake. Now, I'm not so sure.

There, I just let all the cats out of my bag! My wife thinks that I have totally lost my mind. This seems like a logical next step to me. Why reinvent anything. Use proven technology that works in the real world every day. The problem is in the small packaging needed for the use on a motorcycle.

Imagine this: how sweet would it be to roll up to a stoplight, dial up the separate, manual engine control throttle, and when the light changes, roll on the rheostat electric throttle and dust a big cruiser or an R1? All the time using bio-fuel (that you can make) and getting 150+mpg? As I said, if you are going to dream, dream big! This all may be a big pipedream and a lot of cheap talk! But it may be a really cool motorcycle!

Has anyone seen or heard of any motorcycle like this before?

SamM

2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E
1979 Yamaha XS650 Special II