View Single Post
Old 09-23-2009, 11:13 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reveeen
Would you pay extra for a chinese branded bike if you were given a full 2 year warranty and parts were not a problem to get?

This kind of *thinking* is flawed and I'm going to tell you why.

If a device is quality built then "warranty" does not come into play. Like the TV you buy at Future Slop (or Burst Buy for our US folks) you go into the store and buy a TV, this TV has a 1 year warranty, for X number of $ you can extend this warranty to 2-5 years. Chances are, if the thing is going to "let the evil smoke out" it is going to happen within 90 days. Motorcycles are much the same.

Parts:
If you were to construct a vehicle from parts it would likely cost 10X+ the retail value of that vehicle. It does not make economic sense not to sell parts, and LOTS of them, whenever/wherever you can. Should the retail price of the vehicle reflect this? I don't *think* so (you should be making more money off of parts than retail vehicle sales).
I tend to agree with Reveen, although the question requires separation between dual sport and dirt only. If I wasn't mechanically inclined, I'd be satisfied with a 90 day parts and labour warranty on a dirt bike (I don't think that the big four offer much more). I would also be satisified with a 90 day warranty on a dual sport, as long as I had an option to buy additional coverage within 90 days.

Since I choose to wrench on my own stuff, I'd rather negotiate a lower price and forget the warranty, similar to Jim's response.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer