View Single Post
Old 08-28-2009, 01:10 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRider
Side note : Looking at the other pic's, it look's as it should fit very nicely on our zong's. The mounting plate in the rear look's almost identical…
You have a very good eye, DR! Indeed, the Zong fuel tank mounting plate is virtually identical to the Yamaha XT225 fuel tank mounting plate. In the photograph below, the Zong mounting plate is attached to the motorcycle; I placed a Yamaha XT225 fuel tank mounting plate just beside it, to the right.

I am very glad I decided to purchase my Zong. It is very nice to have a copy of a modern, currently produced motorcycle.

Quote:
…Also, how the seat fit's looks identical to ours in the front…
Once again, sir, you have an excellent eye for detail! In the photograph below I have mounted a stock Yamaha XT225 fuel tank to my Zong. The stock tank will not seat down fully, because it has metal tabs to accommodate the Yamaha side plastic. These metal tabs are resting on the wider, Zong frame. Fortunately, the Clarke tank is not encumbered by these tabs! As you can see, the seat appears to mate fairly well with the angle of the stock Yamaha XT225 fuel tank.

Quote:
…It looks as most everything is identical 8O, frame, whole front fork/hub setup, engine, air box, the list goes on…
Actually, the Zong seems to be a mixture of Yamaha TW200 and Yamaha XT225 components. Most of the Zong is patterned after the Yamaha TW200 motorcycle, including the frame, airbox, carburetor, speedometer, and indicator lights. However, as I have demonstrated, Yamaha XT225 parts will also fit on the Zong. The Zong is a superb little motorcycle, and it is built very well. I have now traveled almost 16,000 miles on my YamaZong XT200GY-2; the more I ride it, the better I like it.
Quote:
…I think it should be very minimal at most to make this tank fit. Question, what to do about the fuel petcock valve ? Get an inline one ?
I did quite a bit of research before I selected the Clarke XT225 fuel tank. As always, I don’t want to make any modifications to my motorcycle that cannot be reversed.

The Clarke tank uses the standard Yamaha XT225 fuel petcock, which is different from the Zong petcock. However, I have discovered I can mount either a Yamaha TW200, or a Yamaha XT225 fuel petcock to the Clarke tank. I will not order the fuel petcock until I determine how well the Clarke tank mates to the Zong seat and side plastic.

The Clarke fuel tank is in stock, and it will ship out today. Stay tuned for further updates!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894