View Single Post
Old 08-26-2009, 02:10 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwholler
Spud,

How about painting the tank orange to match the remaining orange in the shroud like this?
That is an excellent suggestion, DW! My good friend Andy suggested the same idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal25
Before going ahead and painting the plastic, I would first try some paint on the cut off remnants of plastic. Most important would be how the paint would react to slops and spills when filling the tank with gas. I know other have had problems with the paint bubbleing up after a small spill. Perhaps some paints or clear coats would preform better than others? That pproblem is what has kept me from trying to get rid of the labels on my tank cover. I know that at least the area of the decals have clear coat on them and as of now I have not had problems with gas.

I second the thought of re-painting the actual tank onder the cover.
Cal, once again, I thank you for an excellent suggestion! I will definitely paint the scrap plastic, and expose it to gasoline, before I even consider painting the tank shroud! :idea:

I agree with DW and my good friend Andy in regards to painting the fuel tank orange; I think it is an excellent idea. Thank you for confirming their judgment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
…Spud, if you paint that plastic, it will lift the moment gas gets near it. Painting the tank to match the orange plastic does have a certain appeal.
Thank you for “thirding” the nomination to paint the fuel tank, WG.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRider
…I think I may be cutting my damn rear fender's now , no biggie repainting again. BIKE IS LOOKING GREAT SPUD :wink:...
Thank you for the kind words, DR.

You did a superb job repainting your entire Zong, including the tank shroud.

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...=custom+sierra

I see from your thread that you used automotive paint (PPG) and clearcoat on the plastics. Have you had problems with gasoline damaging your tank shroud? Can you offer any suggestions for the proper way to paint my fuel tank orange? Is painting the plastic tank shroud with automotive paint a simpler option? :?:

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894