View Single Post
Old 08-26-2009, 01:13 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Isn't part of the reason for the tank shroud out the front to scoop the air into the front of the tank and direct it down to the air cooled engine? I could be wrong, and I don't know what I am talking about, thats why I am asking... Either way though I still prefer stock. That said, nice pictures, I like the 4 oclock one best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
IMHO, the original plastic was there to emulate the current Jap bikes that have radiators. I tend to agree with Spud that the original plastic creates more wind resistance than anything….
Jim, I don’t think the original air louvers helped engine cooling. I agree with WG; I believe they were purely cosmetic.

Both the Yamaha TW200 and the Yamaha XT225 employ the same engine block as my Zong. Neither of these two motorcycles employs air louvers to aid engine cooling. In fact, the Yamaha TW200 even has a low mounted front fender.

I agree, the stock Zong is an attractive motorcycle. However, my Zong is more streamlined, lighter, and trail-worthy after this tank plastic mod.

Another incentive that inspired this modification was my desire to make the Zong easier to clean and maintain. The large tank shroud and fake “radiator” concealed a lot of dirt and mud underneath them. :( These excess parts also made it more difficult for my hand, and even the hose, to wash the dirt away. With the extra plastic and fake “radiator” removed, I can now more easily clean, inspect, and maintain my motorcycle.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894