View Single Post
Old 07-28-2009, 11:58 AM   #3

Nice job TurboT!

Some comments regarding Loctite:

1. You are using Permatex Permanent Strength Red Threadlocker, which is the equivalent to Loctite Red 262. Either of these products usually require heat for removal. If you want to service the item in the future, Loctite Blue 242 is more user-friendly.

2. Rather than threadlocking compound on the bearings, Loctite also makes 640 Retaining Compound. It is also an excellent choice when faced with worn bushings or sleeves that can't be immediately repaired.

Other comments:

How are you determining the proper tightness of the rear wheel castle nuts? On our Beast, I place the rear axle on a jackstand and tighten the nut until there is no wiggle between the wheel mount flange and the axle. With the wheel mounted on the flange, it's easy to tell if there's any slop. On our Beast, I chose to delete the spacer tubes, because they actually interfered with proper tightness (they also looked wobbly).

I would recommend a much longer fuel vent hose, and one that is actual fuel hose quality. You don't want fuel to splash out of the hose at Junior while they're riding. A longer hose allows you to tuck the excess in front of the handlebars. While on the fuel topic, I'd also replace the stock fuel hose with something from the local bike shop for safety.

Cheers!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer