View Single Post
Old 08-24-2006, 08:17 AM   #3

S_Flex, what state are you in?

I had a similar problem at my local MVD office in Yuma, Arizona. I purchased my enduro direct from Jetmoto in San Francisco. It was delivered, built, and the MCO came a few days later. Apparently, AZ likes to have things notarized, or that is the impression I got when I took the MCO and bill of sale to register the bike.

The clerk who served me took the MCO to her supervisor. Behind the scenes (I never spoke with this supervisor) it was said that the MCO looked questionable due to it not being "official" looking. Had it looked official, I would have been able to register the bike withour problems, and without an inspection. The clerk told me that there were two ways around this; call Jetmoto and get a more official looking MCO, or go to a title bond agency (from $150 to $200) and have them guarantee the title was free and clear.

I called Jetmoto, and they sent out a more "official" looking MCO, and a new bill of sale. I took it down to the MVD, but to add insult to injury, the line was huge (I guess it was free cheese day). Literally 2 hours later, my number was called. Different clerk, apparently same supervisor who recognized my cause. I was denied again, but I had an Ace up my sleeve. Member 'EddyFx' had mentioned how he got his Roketa registered at an off-site MVD office/check cashing place in Phoenix. The clerk told me that the supervisor said I would definately have to go with the title bond route, and the bike would have to be brought in for an inspection this time. I mentioned that I thought I would have better luck with the off-site office. She gave me a wink, and did not put what she was supposed to in the computer, as that would have flagged me, and under her breath told me that this was the better route.

I had some business to do in Phoenix (which is 3 hours away), so a week later, I tracked down the off-site AZ MVD office/cash advance/check cashing place. In fact there are two of them in Phoenix owned by the same guy. Within 15 minutes, I had a license plate in hand, and did not have to have the bike visually inspected. (In AZ, the burden is on you to have all street equipment--you can get quads street registered, but can also get pulled over and fined for not having all street equipment). The irony is that the clerk at this place used my first MCO and bill of sale, the "non-official" looking MCO, because it corresponded to the invoice number! (Good thing Jetmoto doesn't charge for MCO's!)

If you are in AZ, I have the address listed on another thread somewhere, and I will dig it out if you need it. Let me know...

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard