View Single Post
Old 05-15-2009, 02:06 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
Well, I don't its the head gasket. No signs of coolant in the oil and the oil level is correct. My Dad said it was fine until he got into some traffic and then it started getting hot.

I think the fan clutch may not be working. I pulled the thermostat housing off and the thermostat was missing. The pump seems to be pumping, but is suspect.

Pulled the radiator out and it looks good. Looks to be pretty new.

It wasn't smoking or missing on any cylinders either.

Allen
I believe part of the problem to be the missing thermostat (stay with me). Somebody likely removed the thermostat in response to overheating issues, perhaps due to a poor clutch fan as you say.

Old hot rodders (my Dad included) would often remove the thermostat to crutch the system, not realizing that often creates a problem. The thermostat is not only a valve, but also a restrictor. The key is in the size of the coolant passage that is exposed when the thermostat is fully open. Removing the thermostat completely causes the coolant to flow too quickly through the rad and return to the engine without sufficient contact time that any heat exchanger needs. If you insist on removing the thermostat, gut an old one to approximate a fully open thermostat.

On the matter of the head, I agree that the head and block need to be properly prepped and squared before a new gasket can be installed.

I'm glad to hear that you're not finding milkshake in the oil. Are you finding oil droplets in the coolant?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer