View Single Post
Old 03-25-2009, 03:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostbite
What is the benefit of a stand over a lift?
That's a very good question. Some people just use a milk crate, or they get a lift stand similar to the one shown in the link below:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motor...QQcmdZViewItem

I considered a number of factors before I decided to purchase a swingarm stand instead of a lift stand.

I think a well-designed swingarm stand is more versatile than a lift stand; it will work for a larger variety of motorcycles. When selecting a lift stand you need to be careful to get the correct ground clearance, because it has a limited amount of travel. Dual sport motorcycles and dirt bikes need a lift stand with high ground clearance. A lift stand high enough for a dual sport motorcycle will probably be too high to use with a sport bike. Therefore, you will probably need to buy several different sizes of lift stands for your different motorcycles. Also, a large sport or touring motorcycle will probably be too heavy for most, if not all, lift stands. A well-designed swingarm stand will easily lift and support even the largest motorcycles. Also, if your motorcycle has a skid plate or a fairing attached you might need to remove it from the bike before you can get the motorcycle up on a lift stand; you don’t have this problem with a swingarm stand.

I also think a swingarm stand is more stable than a lift stand; it has a much wider base of support. You can wrestle vigorously with a stubborn rear wheel, et cetera, without worrying whether the bike will fall off the stand. If you wish, you can even sit on the motorcycle while it is mounted on the swingarm stand. Some people like to do this when adjusting the chain tension on the motorcycle. You can quickly check the amount of chain slack with your full weight on the bike; then you can dismount and easily slide the rear wheel forward or back. A motorcycle on a lift stand is too high and unstable for the rider to mount.

Also, a swingarm stand is very easy to use, even for a single person. Even a small rider can quickly and safely lift the bike with a smooth motion in several seconds. In this respect it is very similar to a motorcycle center stand. However, a swingarm stand is easier to use than a center stand, especially when lifting a heavy motorcycle.

Therefore, a well-designed swingarm stand is a convenient, versatile tool that can be used on a large number of motorcycles. Also, a quality swingarm stand will frequently cost less than a quality lift stand. I think a swingarm stand is a wonderful, inexpensive tool to have handy. Once you get one you won’t know how you ever got along without it.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894